Installed everything, but boot problems

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Thu Nov 15 03:50:43 PST 2001

On 15 Nov 2001, at 12:08, Benedikt Birkenbach wrote:

> I have copied the System.map file to /boot or $LFS/boot, and I wrote in my
> fstab under lfs
>
> $LFS/etc/fstab
> /dev/hdb1        /boot        ext2        defaults 1 2
> was this wrong, is this the reason why he doesnot find the System.map??

In any case System.map is not important and does not prevent booting. Your
real problem is

> MarcyLFS kernel: Warning: unable to open an initial console. Nov 15

This means that /dev/console or /dev/tty? (I don't know which) is missing.
Somehow you managed to build an LFS system without devices. Maybe you want
devfs and forgot to make the kernel mount it at boot time.

Another possibility is that you specified a wrong root device so that the
kernel mounts the wrong partition as /.

MSB

----

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org