multiple machines

Wolter Kamphuis w.r.kamphuis at student.utwente.nl
Tue Nov 13 12:48:06 PST 2001

hi,

>> the file I burned on cd contains a ext2 filesystem so the
>> permissions/symlinks don't change. to install the file on a machine I
> first
>> make the partitions on the machines harddisk, copied the file onto the
>> / partition of the machine an mounted the file on a local mountpoint.
>> then I used 'mv' (move) to move all files out of the file to the
>> harddisk or I copied the files using 'cp -axv'. In commands this would
>> be:
>
> yea, i get it... you just burned the image on cd - create a zero-filled
> file of len=700mb and copy lfs on it, right ?
> then burn in on cd... this way all attributes and permissions of course
> stay untouched - got that.

right, the cd contains a iso9660 filesystem containing one file, the
lfs.img which is again ext2.

>> hmm, so you've already got a machine running and want to make an
>> identical copy of the machine? what I would do is to boot using a cd
>> so your /dev and /proc are readable and writeable. make a 700mb file
>> in your / and move all contents from your / into the file (via
>> loopback). then install the file like I explained above.
>
> yes, that is the way i'm looking for, create the bootable cd and put
> the image on it so that i boot from cd, have the tools like cfdisk on
> it, make the partitions,
> mke2fs it and copy the contents of the image to the harddisk....

that's possible. for example use the .eltorito directory from a slackware-
current directory which contains the stuff you see when booting a slackware-
cdrom. (p.s. I see that slackware stopt building the big slackware-current
dirs. you might find the directory on some old non-updated ftp server).

mzzl
Wolter

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org