multiple machines

Jan Patorra ml-lfs-support at hrxnet.de
Tue Nov 13 12:38:07 PST 2001

hi,

> the file I burned on cd contains a ext2 filesystem so the
> permissions/symlinks don't change. to install the file on a machine I
first
> make the partitions on the machines harddisk, copied the file onto the /
> partition of the machine an mounted the file on a local mountpoint. then I
> used 'mv' (move) to move all files out of the file to the harddisk or I
> copied the files using 'cp -axv'. In commands this would be:

yea, i get it... you just burned the image on cd - create a zero-filled file
of len=700mb and copy lfs on it, right ?
then burn in on cd... this way all attributes and permissions of course stay
untouched - got that.

> Sorry, I don't get it, what do you want to make bootable, the cd?

yea, that would be a great thing for installing, simply a fast way...

> hmm, so you've already got a machine running and want to make an identical
> copy of the machine? what I would do is to boot using a cd so your /dev
> and /proc are readable and writeable. make a 700mb file in your / and move
> all contents from your / into the file (via loopback). then install the
> file like I explained above.

yes, that is the way i'm looking for, create the bootable cd and put the
image on it so that i boot from cd, have the tools like cfdisk on it, make
the partitions,
mke2fs it and copy the contents of the image to the harddisk....

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org