'make' and 'fileutils' does not compile

Guyote guyote at mho.net
Tue Nov 13 05:53:14 PST 2001

I had a similar thing happen to me. I was attempting to compile the kernel (
statically ), and it failed for unresolved symbols. So I thought I'd try it
again - but it became WORSE. I found out that soemthing I had typed caused my
symbolic-link from /lib/include => /usr/src/linux/include to "disappear".
This was in my host system, not the LFS mount! I re-established the link and
I was able to compile.

I looked into this a bit and found another package that would "blow-away" my
environment variables ( I set LFS and LFS-Packages ). Perhaps "configure" was
to blame. But in any case, the package was NOT installed to the LFS mount,
but to my host filesystem instead! So I made it a habit to run "./configure",
if there is one, check to see if my enviroment variables are still set, and
THEN I will compile and install.

This probably doesn't help, but it should demonstrate that automating this
process may be a bit tricky. At least it appears it will be on my box.

Guyote

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org