multiple machines

Wolter Kamphuis lfs at wkamphuis.student.utwente.nl
Tue Nov 13 03:31:18 PST 2001

hi,

>> What I did a few months ago was to mount a 700mb file on loopback and
>> install lfs in that file. After that I burned the file on cd. To
>> install the lfs on a system I used a slackware cd to boot the machine
>> and to copy the file to harddisk.
>>
> isn't this all (like the mail from drew before) a bit prone to errors
> respecting the conservation of permission flags and links ?
> for me it worked with (running a second linux before not to have
> occupied files and all the /dev and /proc copy-mess) a plain
> cp -a (== cp -dpR), it seems that things go well there...

the file I burned on cd contains a ext2 filesystem so the
permissions/symlinks don't change. to install the file on a machine I first
make the partitions on the machines harddisk, copied the file onto the /
partition of the machine an mounted the file on a local mountpoint. then I
used 'mv' (move) to move all files out of the file to the harddisk or I
copied the files using 'cp -axv'. In commands this would be:

cfdisk /dev/sda (make partitions on the machine)
mke2fs /dev/sda3 (make a filesystem on the machine)
mount /dev/sda3 /mnt1 (mount harddisk on mnt1)
mount /dev/cdrom /mnt2 (mount cdrom on mnt2)
cp /mnt2/lfs.img /mnt1 (copy file containing lfs to the harddisk)
mkdir /mnt1/mnt (make mountpoint for lfs.img)
mount /mnt1/lfs.img /mnt1/mnt -o loop (mount the file on /mnt1/mnt)
cd /mnt1/mnt

then
mv -v * ..
or
cp -axv * ..

using some slackware-bootcd's the mv commands fails saying the files are on
different filesystems, so I use the 'cp -axv' command

when all files are copied I chroot myself into the / of the new
machine, /mnt1/mnt in this case, and compile a fresh kernel and install the
kernel, using lilo and so forth. after this the machine is bootable and
ready go be filled with postfix, apache, php, mysql, pgsql, sas, ldap,
cyrus, samba, pureftp, ssl, ssh, etc etc.. :)

> a question for everyone, please help me out with this...
> what do you use on your cd, or did you do it with a bootdisk ? i
> noticed that when installing on any other partition that that where
> the cd's kernel is coded in, the root device in the kernel and the /
> entry in fstab has to be changed - i accomplish the kernel task with
> rdev (plain ol' i know). are there any other things i possibly
> overlooked ? i'm in the process of moving 2 server machines from win!
> to lfs,

Sorry, I don't get it, what do you want to make bootable, the cd?

> having built and tested all daemons on a building host machine and i
> juat want to make sure that all get well :)

hmm, so you've already got a machine running and want to make an identical
copy of the machine? what I would do is to boot using a cd so your /dev
and /proc are readable and writeable. make a 700mb file in your / and move
all contents from your / into the file (via loopback). then install the
file like I explained above.

mzzl
Wolter

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org