multiple machines

Jan Patorra ml-lfs-support at hrxnet.de
Mon Nov 12 23:02:48 PST 2001

hi,

> What I did a few months ago was to mount a 700mb file on loopback and
> install lfs in that file. After that I burned the file on cd. To install
> the lfs on a system I used a slackware cd to boot the machine and to copy
> the file to harddisk.
>
> I build several servers using that single file and all went ok.

isn't this all (like the mail from drew before) a bit prone to errors
respecting the conservation of permission flags and links ?
for me it worked with (running a second linux before not to have occupied
files and all the /dev and /proc copy-mess) a plain
cp -a (== cp -dpR), it seems that things go well there...

a question for everyone, please help me out with this...
what do you use on your cd, or did you do it with a bootdisk ? i noticed
that when installing on any other partition that that where
the cd's kernel is coded in, the root device in the kernel and the / entry
in fstab has to be changed - i accomplish the kernel task with
rdev (plain ol' i know). are there any other things i possibly overlooked ?
i'm in the process of moving 2 server machines from win! to lfs,
having built and tested all daemons on a building host machine and i juat
want to make sure that all get well :)

bye,
peter.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org