VFS: unable to mount root fs

Wolfgang Kerler wolfgang.kerler at epost.de
Mon Nov 12 08:53:46 PST 2001

Elmar Weber wrote:

> hello,
>
> while booting the lfs kernel the system writes:
>
> request_module[block-device-22]Root fs not mounted
> VFS: Cannot open root device "1604" or 16:04
> Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs von 16:04
>
> then it stops
>
> how can i fix that problem?
>
> i have tried to build the kernel with the parameter
> "CONFIG_CMDLINE=root=/dev/hdc4" (as mentioned in the kernel docs

(--snip--)

I don't know what kind of filesystem you are using, but perhaps you forgot to
compile the support for your root filesystem directly into your kernel (not as
a module!). As far as I know it is _not_ possible to use a kernel module for
the root filesystem. The "request_module" message sounds as if this could be
your problem! So you should have a look at your kernel configuration and check
the filesystem support section.

Wolfgang
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org