installing the same packages twice

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Mon Nov 12 00:17:18 PST 2001

On 11 Nov 2001, at 19:33, Ringham, Joe wrote:

> I was wondering why the book goes through the process of installing
> packages in chapter 5 only to install them again in chapter 6. Is it
> because of dependencies?

Yes. Take glibc for instance. It needs gcc to compile but gcc needs glibc.
It's a chicken and egg problem. So we build STATICALLY LINKED versions in
chapter 5. Statically linked means that the library functions are written
into the binary so that it works without any external libraries. In
chapter 6 we compile DYNAMICALLY LINKED versions of the programs. These
are the usual type of binary. They are smaller but depend on external
libraries. The command

ldd <program>

tells you which libraries a program depends on. Try it on the /bin/bash
from your host system and the $LFS/bin/bash created in chapter 5 and
you'll see the difference.

MSB

----
Vacuum cleaners suck!