quiet mounts?

Sam Halliday plendily at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 11 16:57:51 PST 2001

hi, im new to this list

i finally have an LFS (and then some) working really well on my computer,
but there are a few thigns which i would like to sort out, and i was
wondering if anyone knew of a fix:

1 - Is there any way that the mount program could be used quietly when
mounting ReiserFS or vfat systems, it doesnt look very nice on my screen
when i get a lot of codepage info thrown back at me during init?

2 - same question about the hwclock program. (btw ive tried man pages for a
quiet parameter for each of these programs, there doesnt appear to be one)

3 - this is maybe due to kernel development in this area, but i run my
kernel 2.4.15-pre2 with the vga=788 mode for high res, its always worked
under mandrake, but when i try with LFS, i get the top 3 or 4 lines (where
the tux penguin is) staying there, and if i 'clear' the screen, the top 3 or
4 lines of text keep 'sticking' at what was there previously while the rest
of the screen functions as normal. this happens once every few bootups, does
anyone know of a fix? it is really annoying, is there a cache flush or
something (i have a riva tnt2)

4 - i have the linux_logo progra compiled, and it works fine, but is there
any way i can get it to appear on all the ttys and also when a user logs
out? like in mandrake.

5 - how come the winner of the miss universe competition is always from
earth?

Sam, Ireland