Typo LFS-cvs-20011105 ch6 configuring essential software

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Nov 10 14:33:38 PST 2001

On Sat, 10, Nov, 2001 at 11:26:20PM +0100, Matthias Benkmann spoke thus..
> On 10 Nov 2001, at 19:48, Mark Hymers wrote:
>
> > of vim).  I actually would prefer to move the creation of both vimrc and
> > bash_profile to /etc instead of /root.  It seems to make more sense to
> > me...
>
> Not really. Not unless we add /etc/inputrc, too and deal with login.defs
> and other /etc stuff more in depth. But right now the official position is
> apparently that this is beyond the scope of the book, so for consistency I
> think the best thing would be to get rid of .bash_profile (instead put
> PATH into the chroot call) and .vimrc altogether. If someone doesn't like
> vi mode, well, that's his problem and he'll already have a .vimrc if he's
> a vim user.  This is obviously a user-preferences thing and while having
> /etc/inputrc in the book would have visible advantages (fewer "my keys are
> broken" questions on the ml) having a trivial .vimrc does not have any
> benefit I can see (same goes for .bash_profile).
>
> Besides, vimrc doesn't belong in the "Configuring essential software" part
> because vim is not essential and the vimrc even less so. vimrc would
> belong in a "fine-tuning your LFS system" section if there was one. This
> section (which currently is beyond the scope of the book) would deal with
> inputrc, profile, vimrc, login.defs,...
OK.  Maybe in that case we should leave it for now, but eventually move
to using your suggestion to add a PATH to the chroot statement and
removing both .bash_profile and .vimrc once BLFS has it's own section on
dealing with these issues.  (Which it will have once I [or someone else]
gets around to writing it.. it's on the TODO list)

Mark

--
Mark Hymers					 BLFS Editor
markh at linuxfromscratch.org