Typo LFS-cvs-20011105 ch6 configuring essential software

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Sat Nov 10 14:26:20 PST 2001

On 10 Nov 2001, at 19:48, Mark Hymers wrote:

> of vim).  I actually would prefer to move the creation of both vimrc and
> bash_profile to /etc instead of /root.  It seems to make more sense to
> me...

Not really. Not unless we add /etc/inputrc, too and deal with login.defs
and other /etc stuff more in depth. But right now the official position is
apparently that this is beyond the scope of the book, so for consistency I
think the best thing would be to get rid of .bash_profile (instead put
PATH into the chroot call) and .vimrc altogether. If someone doesn't like
vi mode, well, that's his problem and he'll already have a .vimrc if he's
a vim user.  This is obviously a user-preferences thing and while having
/etc/inputrc in the book would have visible advantages (fewer "my keys are
broken" questions on the ml) having a trivial .vimrc does not have any
benefit I can see (same goes for .bash_profile).

Besides, vimrc doesn't belong in the "Configuring essential software" part
because vim is not essential and the vimrc even less so. vimrc would
belong in a "fine-tuning your LFS system" section if there was one. This
section (which currently is beyond the scope of the book) would deal with
inputrc, profile, vimrc, login.defs,...

MSB

----
Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org