Typo LFS-cvs-20011105 ch6 configuring essential software

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Nov 10 11:48:01 PST 2001

On Sat, 10, Nov, 2001 at 06:04:55PM +0100, Matthias Benkmann spoke thus..
> On 10 Nov 2001, at 13:07, Mark Hymers wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 10, Nov, 2001 at 01:49:13PM +0100, Andre Wyrwa spoke thus..
> > > BTW: Why do we create the config-file in /root and not a central one in
> > > /etc?
> > Good question... OTOH Why do we create one at all?  Personally I'd be in
> > favour of creating one still but I can see that some may argue that it's up
> > to the user to create that (it's not *required* after all).  If we do
> > continue to create it however, we should probably put it in /etc
>
> We don't create /etc/profile, so we should not create /etc/vimrc.
>
> Unless the current .vimrc file is absolutely necessary for proper
> operation of vim, it should be kicked completely. If it is absolutely
> necessary for vim to work, then leave it in /root as we do with
> .bash_profile
Depends what you mean by *proper* operation of vim.  IIRC, we need that
file otherwise vim will run in vi-compatible mode which isn't what we
intended (otherwise, as the book says, we would have included vi in the
book intead of vim).  I actually would prefer to move the creation of
both vimrc and bash_profile to /etc instead of /root.  It seems to make
more sense to me...

Mark

--
Mark Hymers					 BLFS Editor