Everyting went so well until I tried to boot

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 9 13:50:27 PST 2001

On Fri, 09, Nov, 2001 at 01:50:21PM -0800, Michael V. Franklin spoke thus..
> > The best advice I can give you is to, for your first kernel compile,
> > compile the stuff you need into the kernel instead of as
> > modules.  Once
> > you have the system up and running, you can learn about using modules
> > and other things but to start with, just compile everything in (i.e.
> > answer Y) that you need to boot the system.
>
> Thanks for your reply, but I have a somewhat dumb question:  How do I know
> what to install in the kernel?  That's where I screwed up the first time.
Hmm.. Difficult to answer generally.  You should probably use
make menuconfig and start by making sure you enable the IDE stuff you
need.  Your base distro kernel .config file in /usr/src/linux MAY be a
help to you but not always.  Basically, read the help for each option
and fiddle with it!  That's the best way to learn.  The first time I
compiled a kernel that's what I did and how I learned.  Alternatively,
give us a list of your hardware and I'll *try* and suggest which
settings you'll need (though I can't guarentee it'll help).  Don't
forget to make sure you enable /proc and /dev/pts support along with
virtual terminal support (you'll see them as you browse).  Play with it,
it's fun ;-)

Mark

--
Mark Hymers					 BLFS Editor