Everyting went so well until I tried to boot

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 9 13:35:30 PST 2001

On Fri, 09, Nov, 2001 at 11:41:15AM -0800, Michael V. Franklin spoke thus..
> You know I followed the directions in the book, but I found nothing on how
> to configure the kernel.  I configured the kernel myself making the best
> assumptions that I could and then it worked.  Apparently, there's a RAMdisk
> support in the kernel (or something like that) that needs to be compiled in
> order for Lilo and other boot loaders to work.  That may have been the
> problem.  It's working now (mostly).  I'm able to boot, but having trouble
> installing modules.
>
> Did I miss something in the book, because I saw nothing about how to
> configure the kernel.  I'm using version 20011105.
The best advice I can give you is to, for your first kernel compile,
compile the stuff you need into the kernel instead of as modules.  Once
you have the system up and running, you can learn about using modules
and other things but to start with, just compile everything in (i.e.
answer Y) that you need to boot the system.

Mark

--
Mark Hymers					 BLFS Editor
markh at linuxfromscratch.org