Funny userrights after unpacking the tarballs

Mark Hymers markh at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 9 08:15:29 PST 2001

On Fri, 09, Nov, 2001 at 09:18:38AM +0100, fh spoke thus..
> Hello all,
>
> i unpacked the archives in 2 steps:
> First bunzip2 und second tar.
> So i got all packets stored in their own dirs.
>
> To build the dirs in $LFS i changed to lfs-commands/chapter4 to execute the
> script.
> But - the file had funny userrights, the user and group were wrong and the x
> wasn`t set, so i couldn`t execute it.
> Then i looked for all scripts in lfs-commands/chapter* - the same muck. All
> rights were wrong.
>
> I had to use chown und chmod to change them to rwxr--r-- for root:root.
>
> Is this an known problem or did i make anything wrong?
It sounds like you untarred them as root.  If you do this, then they'll
be owned by the uid/gid which they were owned by on the original
machine.  To avoid this, the simple answer is to untar them when logged
in as a non-root user in which case they'll be set to that id (for one
reason, non-root users can't chown files to another user [I think]..)

Mark

--
Mark Hymers					 BLFS Editor
markh at linuxfromscratch.org