Glibc-2.2.4 compilation error

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Thu Nov 8 14:24:19 PST 2001

On 8 Nov 2001, at 17:51, ferguson at kvalito.no wrote:

> > I'm running kernel 2.2.14.
> > The error message i get is actually: "sort: Memory exhausted" and gcc is
> > exiting with error 141
>
> Porblem solved by recompiling textutils
> (the "sort" binary was bad in some way)

I'm not convinced. If it was a segfault, okay, but "Memory exhausted"
doesn't sound like a bad binary. Maybe recompiling textutils just shook
the VM out of its lethargy. Or you rebooted your computer in between and
that made the problem go away. Your report just deepens my mistrust for
the 2.4.x series.

MSB

----
Where...the ENIAC is equipped with 18000 vacuum tubes and weighs 30 tons,
computers in the future may have 1000 vacuum tubes and perhaps weigh just
1-1/2 tons.

Popular Mechanics, March 1949, p.258

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org