large disk and dual boot

Franz Reinhardt fre at wenglor.de
Thu Nov 8 03:51:54 PST 2001

On Thursday, 8. November 2001 10:45, you wrote:
> In article <007d01c16800$6a60c4e0$3ba7f783 at desk>, David wrote:
> > Can anyone help me with this?
> > I have a laptop with an 8.4GB BIOS limit and I would like to put LFS and
> > Windows 95 on a 10GB hard drive.

Do your partitioning at the target System!!

> > Do I need to use a disk manager such as OnTrack?

No!!

> I am not sure, but you might try the following setup:
>
> small /boot-Partition (10MB should do it) at the beginning,
> X GB  windows (below that border)

set the bootable flag to the windows partion, else windows can't boot.

> X MB  /swap
> X GB  / (Linux)
Good idea, just take care that your partitions to boot from are within the
first 1024 cyls. I suggest, that W*95 fdisk can't handle more than that. So
you can make i.e. two primary partions using W*95 fdisk. Boot linux, use
fdisk or cfdisk, do the rest. Install linux, make bootfloppy, install
windows, boot linux with floppy, rerun lilo, test W*s and linux boot.

> AFAIK Linux (Lilo) just uses the bios to boot. After the kernel is
> loaded the drive will be accessed by the Linux-hd-Drivers. Not sure
> about windows :), so it is best to put it below the bios-border.
The boot partitions have to be on  cylinder < 1024.

> That small /boot might not be necessary, because LILO can boot below
> those borders in newer versions, but it's a "I am used to do so"-thing
> ;)
>
>      Ba-used.to.many.things-lu
lilo itself doesn't have the 1024 cyls limit anymore. It's just the bios
which doesn't recognize the hd correct. Maybe it's necessary to change the
cylinders/heads settings (to get more disk space within the 1024 cyls), if
the BIOS supports this.

Hope this helps,

Franz

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org