gcc and autoconf

André Wyrwa a.wyrwa at web.de
Wed Nov 7 04:23:46 PST 2001

> > autoconf is definitely not needed for compiling gcc in chroot. Did you
> > delete the gcc-build directory after the chapter 5 build and recreate it
> > again for chapter 6. It is not advisable to re-use the old tree.
>
> Yes. I deleted both that and the old source tree, recreated, and
repatched. I
> guess I can just go try the whole process again. Virtual power-cycling..

I ran into the same touble once or twice, but sadly I don't remember what
was the reason. I do remember that I was wondering somehow about the
relation between the problem and it's solution. I think the problem
originated in an other package than gcc. I do remember that gcc missed
something and then wanted to use autoconf.
Try checking your PATH and if it's ok, look for /bin/install. If it's
missing try linking it to whereever install is (guess /usr/bin/install). And
have a look for if it can find diff, too.
Ahh...and did you install texinfo and textutils in chapter 5? (I remember
having forgotten one of them and done it later.)

It's just some bad recalls, but perhaps worse a try.

André.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org