Several Problems

Thomas -Balu- Walter balu at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Nov 6 07:20:57 PST 2001

In article <005101c166d3$6ccb9b20$0b01a8c0 at thinkin23>, Benedikt Birkenbach wrote:
> I am new to this list, if I do something wrong, please tell me...

Looks okay for me :)

> Chapter 5 Preparing the LFS system
>

> - Installing Diffutils-2.7
>  Because i have glibc 2.1 i used the sure (export
> CPPFLAGS=−Dre_max_failures=re_max_failures2) way, but make still showed me
>  an error.

I hope the problem here is because of some character-problems if not -
the correct way for the export would be:

export CPPFLAGS=-Dre_max_failures=re_max_failures2

> ------------
>   gcc -o diff -g -O -static diff.o analyze.o cmpbuf.o dir.o io.o util.o
> context.o ed.o ifdef.o normal.o side.o fnmatch.o getopt.o getopt1.o regex.o
> version.o
>  /usr/lib/libc.a(regex.o): In function `init_syntax_once':
>  /usr/src/packages/BUILD/glibc-2.1/posix/regex.c:257: multiple definition of
> `re_max_failures'
>  regex.o:/mnt/lfs/usr/src/d/diffutils-2.7/regex.c:112: first defined here
>  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>  make: *** [diff] Error 1
> -------------

That looks like the problem the export above should have fixed. You
better retry it.

>  Is this not ok ???
>  I have found a diff program in my $LFS/usr/bin directory, so maybe every-
>  thing is cool, but i am not sure.

Getting an error like that is always bad, not cool ;)

> - Installing Gzip-1.2.4a
>  I have installed gzip like described in the book, but there was no
>  directory called $LFS/usr/bin/gzip, there were just the files, so the
>  last two lines of the commands are wrong or not??
>  I just copied all things in $LFS/bin, without creating the directory
>  ../gzip, do think that this ok(I think so)??

Those are files, not directories!

Thats okay - those two commands move the executable files (others call them
programs) $LFS/usr/bin/gunzip and $LFS/usr/bin/gzip to $LFS/bin.

We have to cp && rm them, because mv'ing them would give errors.

>  Another thing, i did not find the compress program mentioned in Content.

Looks like the description has to be fixed. I have no LFS here, is
compress still included?

> Chapter 6 Installing basic system software
>
> - Installing Findutils-4.1
> I've patched the file, like described, compiled it with no problems but then
> when i wanted to install it (make --libexecdir=/usr/bin install) i got these
> errors:
> ----------------------
[...]
> -------------------
> I have exported the folowing things : export CPFLAGS=" -O3 -march=i686" &&
> CXXFLAGS=$CPFLAGS, but this has something to do with the compilation or
> not??

I've not seen those errors yet, but it might have something to do with
the optimization CPFLAGS you ar using - you might try without.

> I wasnt able to find any programs mentioned in description.
>
> So I hope I've descriped everything...

I hope I have answererd everything :)

     Balu
> PS:
> I've found an error in the book,:
> - errors in the text
>  Page 66 of the pdf
>  It is not strictly ... a static termap (should be termcap or not)...

bet so - included into bugzilla...

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org