2.4.13: unresolved symbols with modules_install

Steve Campbell the.goonden at ntlspamworld.spam
Mon Nov 5 18:29:55 PST 2001

And yeah Andreas Achtzehn Did speak unto the masses thusly:

> Dear list readers,
>
> I have severe problems compiling a 2.4.13 kernel on a LFS 3.0 based
> system.
>

> I start my LFS session with:
> mount -t proc proc /mnt2/proc
> chroot /mnt2 /usr/bin/env -i HOME=/root TERM=$TERM /bin/bash --login
>
> I follow this way to compile a kernel for my system:
>
> cd /usr/src
> rm -rf linux
> tar xvfz linux-2.4.13.tar.gz
> cd linux
> cp ../config.aktuell ./.config # this is a config I created before
> make menuconfig # no changes, just exit (otherwise no autoconfig.h)
> make dep
> make clean
> make bzImage # works quite well up to here
> cp System.map /boot
> make modules
> make modules_install
>
> The modules_install ends with
>
> mkdir -p pcmcia; \
> find kernel -path '*/pcmcia/*' -name '*.o' | xargs -i -r ln -sf ../{}
> pcmcia
> if [ -r System.map ]; then /sbin/depmod -ae -F System.map  2.4.13; fi
> depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in
> /lib/modules/2.4.13/kernel/drivers/net/wan/comx.o
> depmod:         proc_get_inode
> achtzehn:/usr/src/linux#
>
> Is it possible that this is due to the proc-system and its unusual
> mounting?
>
> Regards,
> Andreas Achtzehn
This may be entirely unrelated, as I am not very knowledgable in the ways
of kernel module errors. But I have been getting unresolved symbol errors
from 2.4.13 while attempting to load both the emu10k1-gp module and gravis
joystick driver. Mind you, compared with getting a new kernel to play ball
on mandrake 8.0, this lfs business is pure joy.
I only decide to leap up the kernel tree to 2.4.13 to get some midi I/O
from my sblive....and I still don't know if I succeeded as I haven't
decided what apps to install for midi.
Anyway, just thought I should say "you are not alone"

--
registered Linux user #212154
Don't get mad, get Linux

Newbies concise guide to all this commandline business.
Essential reading!!! ( and short and quite funny too:) )
http://www.cmm.uklinux.net/steve/ntt.html

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org