FW: Updating the KDM hint

Ian Chilton ian at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Nov 4 18:34:28 PST 2001

----- Forwarded message from Sanjuro Europe <sanjuro_e at yahoo.com> -----

From: Sanjuro Europe <sanjuro_e at yahoo.com>
Subject: Updating the KDM hint
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2001 17:53:57 +0100
To: hints at linuxfromscratch.org

I am playing with xdm and kdm at the moment. And it would be nice if
someone with a lot of experience could update and extend the kdm hint.

The hint did help me sort of but I still have a lot of questions. The
documentation that comes with kdm doesn't help a lot because it either
assumes you are using Redhat or SuSe with xdm already installed. It
points to a 'prefdm' script which of course isn't part of LFS.

I will post a number of questions below. It would be very nice if
someone could use them as sort of a guideline to rewrite the hint.

- Adding absolute paths to 'startkde' does work, but when installing a
new version of KDE the file will be replaced and paths have to be added
again. Isn't there a better way of doing this? May be editing the path
itself?

- Where should kdm/xdm be started? Redhat seems to start it in 'prefdm'
 but what invokes that? Should it be in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d? And if so
could you provide a script?

- How do I get a nice background behind the login manager?

- Sounds doesn't work when starting with xdm. Kdm seems to work fine,
but is there a good fix for this?

- Where is a users default display manager stored?

- How to add Gnome to KDM?

- How to automatically get ride of the login console after logging in.

Of course I would be very willing to help/test/whatever the hint.

Really appreciate it,

Sanjuro

----- End forwarded message -----
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org