problems with kernel 2.4.13

Dieter Scholz dieter_scholz at gmx.de
Sun Nov 4 15:32:28 PST 2001

Hi,

> I have some problems with kernel 2.4.13. Perhaps you can help:
>
> 1.)
>
> After the ethnet startup script is executed, a message appears:
>
> 'task ifconfig exit_signal 17 in reparent to init'
>
> But eth0 is shown when executing 'ifconfig'.
>
> When I disable the ethnetscript and use exactly the same ifconfig command
> in a bash shell, no error occurs at all.
>
> I do not have this problem, when booting this system with a 2.4.5 kernel
> build on a pre3.0 LFS system.
>
> 2.)
>
> When working with the shell randomly a message appears:
>
> 'spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7'
>
> 8259A is an interrupt controller AFAIK.
>
> Again this problem does not appear, when booting this system the 2.4.5
> kernel build on a pre3.0 LFS system.

Ok ... should have asked Google before posting ...

Problem 1 and 2 are caused by an error in the Realtek nic driver. If I use a
2.4.7 kernel everything works ok.

> 3.)
>
> Both, the 2.4.5 and 2.4.13 kernels print out the following message, when
> booting:
>
> 'IRQ routing conflict for 00.7.02: have IRQ 5 want IRQ 10'
> 'IRQ routing conflict for 00.7.03: have IRQ 5 want IRQ 10'
>
> IRQ 10 is used by my Ethernet card.
>
> /proc/pci says, that 7.02/03 are my USB Controllers.
>
> Does these messages point to an error or can I ignore them?

I'm still curious, is this just a warning or does this message say something
is wrong with my system or to be more specific with my interrupt table?

Dieter

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org