init can't start rcS or rc

Dieter Scholz dieter_scholz at gmx.de
Fri Nov 2 14:34:37 PST 2001

Hello,

I have a strange problem when booting into my recently build LFS system.

The kernel boots ok, but when it comes to INIT, it says:

cannot execute rcS
cannot execute rc

and a maintance bash shell pops up.

I checked the symlinks, rw mode in lilo, the permissions and inittab. -> Ok

A few more things I want to mention:

- I use reiserfs
- when the kernel boots (after initialization of NET4) it prints: ds: no
socket drivers loaded (my pre-LFS 3.0 system doesn't print this message)
- my network card doesn't appear in th boot messages although I didn't
compiled it as a kernel module
- when I try to run the rc script with /bin/bash rc it tells me: bad
interpreter and later a few lines of 'command not found'-s
- because I used my build script I compiled all the packages using the
statically build bash in the chroot environment

Can u help me?

Dieter

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org