LFS Paper on Secure Servers

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Wed May 5 16:58:06 PDT 2004

On Wed, 5 May 2004, F. R. Wesselmann wrote:

> The klogd man pages says:
>
>         As  a  convenience  klogd  will  attempt to resolve kernel
>         numeric addresses to their symbolic forms if a kernel sym-
>         bol  table is available at execution time.

 OK, so now I've got around to reading the fine man page [read - "how
many times do I have to sit around compiling 2.4.26 to get it right ?"
;-)], this is for reporting an oops.  On the boxes where I care,
ksymoops does this after the sad event.  For people who don't frequent
the kernel mailing list, or who don't expect to have oopses on a regular
basis, there doesn't seem to be a benefit to this.  Or am I
misunderstanding ?

Ken