LFS Paper on Secure Servers

Jason Gurtz jason at tommyk.com
Wed Jul 21 08:06:05 PDT 2004

On 5/1/2004 02:58, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I've been working on a major paper based on LFS for the last few months
> and have now come to the point where it should be released.  The paper
> is at:
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/~bdubbs/secure-linux.pdf

It's taken me some time to have a proper initial look at this.  I must
say it's a real nice piece of work  :)  Highlights of the parts I found
particularly enjoyable where the secure dns, netfilter, and the build
scripts.

The only thing I was left wishing for is integration with a read-only
root (and others) partition implementation.

I'm going to maybe see if it's possible to use uClibc or diet libc with
this and perhaps also see about an implementation on one of these
Pentium-M "embedded" style devel boards using compact flash for the main
file systems and tmpfs for data.  Logging will go to a logging server.

once again, this was a pleasure to read; thanks for your efforts!

Cheers,

~Jason