OpenSSH 3.7.1p2

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Wed Sep 24 03:15:55 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 17:19, Archaic wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 04:36:18PM -0500, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
>
> <..>
>
> In less than a week they have released 3 times. 3.7p1, 3.7.1p1, and now
> 3.7.1p2. Dagmar, have you read the changelog, yet? 3.7p1 was supposed to
> be the one that fixed the situation and that's the one I d/l'd and
> installed as soon as it hit slashdot. Took bloody forever for the
> mirrors to get it and the main server was slammed. Don't know if I'm in
> too big of a hurry to do that again, unless the problem wasn't fixed
> right the first 2 times.

Actually, I think the delay this time was with trying to be sure it was
really fixed.  As I understand it Zalewski spotted four more possible
bugs in the code just hours after 3.7.1p1 came out.  I was frankly
expecting to see the fixes released as 3.7.2, but since it's only
non-BSD systems that would be vulnerable...  Anyway, considering that I
use the pro-police patch for gcc, openwall kernel patches, and tcp
wrappers as well as iptables firewalling to limit my exposure to
singular reasonably safe hosts, I wasn't going to lose much sleep over
it.  (The moral is, when you build a firewall, build a firewall and not
a router with filtering capabilities.)

--
The email address above is phony because the people making archives of list
traffic publicly available on the web aren't taking measures to protect the
              AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org