no more buffer overflows

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Mon May 5 14:35:29 PDT 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003 08:24:53 -0500 Archaic <archaic at indy.rr.com> wrote:

> I can't figure out from that whether or not the binutils patch is
> neccessary if you compile stuff _after_ switching to the patched kernel
> (like building an LFS while running the patched kernel).

If I understood this correctly, the binutils patch is always necessary if
you want ASCII armor relocation. The kernel can not relocate the addresses
used inside the program as those are hardcoded into the executable (unless
it's compiled with -fPIC as shared libs are). The ASCII armor relocation
is something you can use in addition to what the kernel patch does
(although the kernel patch is probably necessary for the relocation to
work, but I'm not sure about that)

MSB

--
Digitize if possible - Eradicate if necessary!

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org