XFree86-4.3.0 Xft vulnerability patch

Kelledin kelledin+BLFS at skarpsey.dyndns.org
Sun Aug 31 11:30:27 PDT 2003

"blemix" <blemux at hush.com> recently reported a series of integer
overflow vulnerabilities in XFree86 4.3.0 to the
bugtraq at securityfocus.com mailing list.  Primarily these are
integer overflow errors which in certain configurations could
lead to the X server executing arbitrary code.

http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/335592/2003-08-28/2003-09-03/0

The bugs are (at least partially) fixed in XFree86-CVS.  A couple
of comments in the code suggest that they're not completely
fixed--I'm watching the XFree86 CVS commits, so I'll probably
know if further fixes come down the pipe.  In the meantime I
took the liberty of backporting the incremental diffs from CVS
and creating a patch that applies to both XFree86 4.3.0 and
4.3.0.1.  So far all I can say is, "it compiles, and it _seems_
to work."

The patch can be found at
http://skarpsey.dyndns.org/XFree86-4.3.0-xftfix-1.patch.bz2 (or
attached to this message).