Stack-Smash Protector

Dave Maietta dave at qix.net
Mon Sep 30 15:42:42 PDT 2002

Hmmm, some good insights here.  Seems like stack protection can be an
effective element of a general system security plan, with some caveats.

Let me back up, and proclaim ignorance on behalf of myself and any other
newbies out there.  What code owns stacks that need protection?  Does
everyone share one stack?  If glibc cannot be compiled with stack
protection, does that leave it vulnerable, or does glibc, or do
libraries in general, use the caller's stack?  Is a library wrapper like
libsafe (http://www.research.avayalabs.com/project/libsafe/) a
competitor to, or a complement to, a compilation scheme of inherent
stack protection?

Also, what about the kernel itself?  How vulnerable are its services?
While looking into the gcc patch, I believe I read that the kernel
maintains its own stacks which cannot be protected by that patch because
the kernel "is aware of the structure of its own stacks."  Is this the
protection afforded by a kernel patch such as the GRSecurity patches?
Sorry, I have not yet smartened myself up on kernel patches like
GRSecurity or LIDS.  I intend to.

Thanks,
Dave Maietta