Stack-Smash Protector

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Mon Sep 30 14:33:02 PDT 2002

On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 21:06:53 +0000 (UTC)
ivo at primerelay.net (Ivo Bitter) wrote:

> > Erk. the cure sounds worse than the disease...
>
> Yeah... That's why i'm not using it myself :)
>
> I tried the patch ages ago but other parts of it did Bad Things to my
> system. They probably fixed that by now though.

Unfortunately, it looks like IA-32 cant protect pages from execution
itself (from my admitteldly brief look at the patch), so I doubt this
can be implemented without horrible penalties as described...

The ARM 26 architecture cant do it either, without the paging hack.

I dunno about ARM32.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org