Fwd: Re: zlib-1.1.4 out - security fix

Don Smith midio at att.net
Tue Mar 12 13:19:54 PST 2002

"Ian Molton" <spyro at armlinux.org> wrote in message
news:20020312192959.591fe789.spyro at armlinux.org...
> On a sunny Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:02:54 -0500 Gerard Beekmans gathered a
sheaf
> of electrons and etched in their motions the following immortal words:
>
> > The short answer to WHY is performance, shared libs are slower. SSH
and
> > gzip is two of the pretty few programs that I really WANT to have as
> > optimized as possible.
>
> Is the performance hit really that big?

Um, shared libs are slower? I doubt that. What about shared libs makes
them slower? If you are talking about load times, shared libs are
actually faster because you only reload the "static" (sorry about the
bad terminology) part the second through nth time you run it. If you are
talking about direct vs. indirect references, that all done in local
processor registers and is very optimized, usually 1 cycle in modern
pipelined cpu architectures.

Having all static greatly increases memory usage and, if you have
limited memory resources, you start paging. Paging is reaaalllllllly
sssslllllloooooooowww.

Don

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org