Password hashing algorithms

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 13 11:00:11 PDT 2001

> Ok, thanks, I'll try that out soon. Do you know where I could find out
> more about this, what package/program is it that reads this setting from
> /etc/logins.defs ?

The login program (that's started by agetty when you login to a virtual
terminal) will read that file. In the end it's Glibc though that takes
care of the password authentication. Unless I'm mistaken, whatever
password alghorithm you want to use, glibc needs to support it. This
means you may need to reinstall Glibc after having applied some kind of
patch, like the blowfish patch. Then there's also the shadowpassword
suite that may need some patch applied.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org