Password hashing algorithms

Kristoffer Ekelund e7ke at etek.chalmers.se
Wed Jun 13 04:04:52 PDT 2001

Hi!

I have a sort of silly question, but I can't seem to find any answer to it
on my own. What hashing algorithm is used by the password handling
programs on a LFS system (as per "by the book") and what would I need to
do to change it? I know that I can choose md5 passwords when installing
RedHat and I seem to remember OpenBSD using Blowfish as it's algorithm,
this would be what I'm wanting to use on my own system but I haven't been
able to find any info on it, which makes me feel a little stumped, I know
it must be out there. So if anyone has any RTFM pointers I will be very
happy.

	Sincerely,
	Kristoffer

--