Secure email

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Fri Jun 1 23:40:43 PDT 2001

Thus spake Kristoffer Ekelund:

> > I'd recommend using stunnel, since it has an easy-to-use windoze client.
> > You can probably make some vb macro to put on their desktop to forward a
> > local port to your remote port, for pop3 or imap.
>
> Ok, stunnel looks a tad complicated, but I'll look into it. It doesn't
> look like a very elegant solution though. Not to me anyway... Are there
> really no encrypted protocols for retriveing mail?

Some POP and IMAP clients and servers support challenge-handshake
password systems, but I've never taken the time to try them out.
I made RPMs for stunnel init scripts that'll start stunnel processes
listening on the SSL-POP3 and SSL-IMAP ports.  It's better to
run stunnel this way, and is one reason I prefer it over sslwrap,
because there is less overhead.  You can read about it in the stunnel
FAQ: http://www.stunnel.org/faq/run.html#ToC2.  Even though mine
are RPMs (and designed to integrate with a Red Hat system), you
should be able to find enough in the init scripts to get you going:
ftp://ftp.nakedape.cc/pub/packages/contrib/, imapsd and pop3sd.

Wil
W. Reilly Cooley                           wcooley at nakedape.cc
LNXS: Get 0.2.0-devel at http://sourceforge.net/projects/lnxs/
irc.openprojects.net                                     #lnxs

When I hear a man applauded by the mob I always feel a pang of pity
for him.  All he has to do to be hissed is to live long enough.
		-- H.L. Mencken, "Minority Report"