Secure email

Thomas 'Balu' Walter tw at itreff.de
Sat Jun 2 01:32:49 PDT 2001

+-Kristoffer Ekelund-(e7ke at etek.chalmers.se)-[01.06.01 23:22]:
> On Fri, 1 Jun 2001, Thomas 'Balu' Walter wrote:
>
> > # grep pop3s /etc/services
> > pop3s           995/tcp    spop3        # pop3 protocol over TLS/SSL
> > pop3s           995/udp    spop3        # pop3 protocol over TLS/SSL
> >
> > Check out sslwrap http://www.rickk.com/sslwrap/ to do those :)
> > Works also for:
>
> Thanks, I'm looking into that... Do you know if pop3s is a
> "real" protocol, well I guess it is since it's in IANA's list but do you
> know of any pop3 deamons/clients that do it "naitivley" so to speak, or do
> they have to be fooled into doing it?

It's a real protocol - Netscape e.g. has SSL/TLS support, dunno if
outlook or others do that too, but since SSL is included in all browsers
I'd call that more standard than port-forwarding with ssh e.g.

> > I don't like qmail, because I heard Dan Bernstein is a little paranoid
> > ;-) - It looks like he does what he wants, not what other find correct.
>
> Just out of curiosity, do you have any examples of things he doesn't do
> correctly in qmail?

He does everything correctly, but he does it his way, I heard... People
in a newsgroup were complaining, that he didn't listen to their
suggestions - he just said "I don't like that - it will not be done!".
Anyway - I think he is a great motor of the security movement, but
sometimes a little too strict perhaps.

     Ba-strictly.ssh-lu
Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-security-request at linuxfromscratch.org