man-pages installation change

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 16 17:22:33 PST 2001

This has been discussed on lfs-security a while ago:

Old man-pages installation: cp -avi
This will retain ownership of the files as they were in the tarball which
happens to be non-root. The new way of copying the files are with: cp -dRiv

It's the same as cp -avi, but this won't preserve the attributes like userid,
groupid and such. Depending on umasks used the files may not end up with mode
644 so we'll have to figure that out too. There are some options like this:

for i in man1 man2 man3 man4 man5 man6 man7
do
	cd /usr/share/man/$1
	chmod 644 *
done

That would be the easiest way I think. A fancy find piped to xargs would do
the trick to but this isn't a contest how complicate we can make things.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org