man-pages? what does this...

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jan 3 15:07:34 PST 2001

On January  3, 2001 03:48 pm, Craig M. Reece wrote:
> I don't use the cp -av method; I use the actual Makefile that comes in the
> man-pages sources. It appears to do the right thing with permissions.

Does it also do the right thing with not overwriting files that are already
present? Last I have seen is that it checks for file stamps. If a file in the
man-pages package is newer than the one already in /usr/man, it will
overwrite the file. That's a bad thing in my opinion. What if for some reason
your clock simply isn't set right when you installed the previous packages.
That's why I never trusted the 'real' installation method for that package.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org