Ping, Pong, oh lets get moving shall we ;)

Thomas 'Balu' Walter tw at itreff.de
Wed Nov 8 05:27:56 PST 2000

+-Jesse Tie Ten Quee-(highos at highos.com)-[08.11.00 11:56]:
> if you use locate that comes with glibc, i suggest installing slocate to
> start with, has support for multiple users, etc... like if you updatedb
> and ran 'locate root' you can see all those nice files in /root, etc,
> (as a regular user that is) it's a nice extra touch on an LFS system;
> ftp://ftp.mkintraweb.com/pub/linux/slocate/
> (btw, allthough if you have never did 'updatedb' nor use locate, you
> really have nothing to worry about :)

I suggest running updatedb with the option "--localuser". There are other
options as well, I suggest to read the man-page (especially
--prunepaths looks interesting):

> OpenSSH has been updated yet again to version 2.3.0p1, it requires zlib
> and OpenSSL, i strongly recomment using it over standard telnet

Same here.

> (there
> is a great Windows client called PuTTY and even some half-decent Java
> applets for your standard browsers, and a few Mac, etc) as well as SSH1
> and SSH2 support, combined into one binary

I have a little problem with putty. On connections where nothing happens
(no traffic) sometimes the line gets "reset by peer" or similar - a
connection to the same box where work is been done stays open...

> Sudo is an excellent little tool that i've grown to really like (thx
> Gerard for mentioning it =) which allows a user (depending on the
> configuration) to execute a command as root, but w/o giving them root's
> password, etcetc, it's great if you just want a user to be able to
> restart a webserver or certain daemon; http://www.courtesan.com/sudo/

reminder, Jesse ;) If you don't know what I am reminding you off,
perhaps http://193.174.90.124/tmp does ;)

     Ba--lu