run klogd, syslogd and pppd with non-root privileges

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Sat Dec 16 06:59:26 PST 2000

Yo,

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 04:17:49PM +0100, Rudolf Floers wrote:
> for security reasons apache runs as user apache, postfix (at least some of its modules) runs as user postfix, etc.,  so ..
> how do i run klog, syslog and ppp/ippp daemons without root privileges?
> is it possible at all?

Apache starts as root, but each process is fork'ed as the default user
(nobody, which can always be changed), postfix is similar, allthough very
cool compared to most mail systems with it's security...*mumbles some
more*

klog/syslog should have no problem running as another user, as long as
they can write there logs (aka right permissions)..don't take my word on
this thou :)

I have no idea for ppp...

And that doesn't really help you..oh well :)

-