Android from Scratch?

Jason Daly jason_daly at lavabit.com
Sat Jun 22 04:17:48 PDT 2013

Greetings,

So I've been building custom LFS systems for personal use regularly for several
years now (every six months since 6.6), and I would never consider going back
to something like Ubuntu or *gasp* Windows. In my early days of computer use, I
was always trying to remove bloat and stop services in Windows. When I realized
that was an effort in futility and I would never really achieve a very secure
system no matter what I did,  I moved to Linux and ended up settling on
installing command-line Ubuntu systems. When my brother told me about LFS, I
couldn't wait to build my first system, and I've been hooked ever since. You
just can't beat the control you have over everything, so useability and
security are as good as you make it.

Now I'm in the market for a smartphone, and when I read the reviews about
things like google bloatware and how slow Android phones can be, I feel like
I'm back to square one. My dream is to buy a top-of-the-line smartphone and
build a custom OS for it with full disk encryption using dm-crypt, Orbot
browser, and some type of end-to-end encrypted voice client. It would be a
totally lean system with no processes running that I didn't need.

The trouble is, I don't have a whole lot of money to spare, so if I brick a
device, I'm screwed. Also, I don't really have the technical ability nor the
time to figure out how to do all this by myself.

So I was wondering if anyone was aware of a project out there that's similar to
LFS but for Android phones where I could achieve what I'm looking to do. It
would be really helpful if this project had recommended devices that were
proven to work. I just don't have a lot of room for experimentation or trial
and error.

I understand that this market is relatively new, so maybe I should wait a few
years to see where it goes and continue using my 5 year old flip phone.

Any guidance here would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason Daly