jhalfs and nALFS

jon public at pitchblende.org
Thu Apr 19 08:55:37 PDT 2012

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 11:02:35 -0400
Jeremy Huntwork <jhuntwork at lightcubesolutions.com> wrote:

> On 4/16/12 10:47 AM, jon wrote:
> > would some mind telling the true story of the /downfall/ of nALFS?
> >
> > Clearly a lot of love time and attention went into it and now its
> > just lying there.
> >
> > Personally jhalfs feels completely wrong. I love when it works and
> > there it is a fully built system but it so happens that last time I
> > could only confidently do this with LFS-6.3 which left me doing all
> > sorts of weird things to keep this hybrid 'code-frankenstein's
> > monster' on the road.
>
> There were two main reason nALFS was abandoned and jhalfs was
> implemented.
>
> First, nALFS required maintaining a separate set of XML configs to
> feed into it as build recipes. We wanted something that could extract
> commands directly from the book and use those to build, so there was
> less chance of human error and (hopefully) a greater chance of
> achieving a pristine 'by-the-book' build.
>
> Secondly, at the time, there weren't a lot of experienced developers
> contributing to the project, so it was felt that writing "simpler"
> scripts in shell to do all the heavy lifting would encourage more
> people to help contribute and maintain. This appears to have worked,
> for a time.
>
> Unfortunately, over time jhalfs has also become a little heavy and
> unwieldy. It would be nice to take some of jhalfs' core concepts and
> refactor them into a more elegant solution.
>
> JH

Well I have some coding experience and was wondering if I might be of
assistance. I really like the nALFS package.I have installed it and
have been poking around the xml profiles. Had a silly idea of trying
to look at both them and the (XHTML?) files that now form the
configuration base. LFS has GROWN and BLFS is a sprawling amazing bit of
work. Combined Ive been using them to run my system for about 6-7 years
now Anytime I try working with a distro I have a brief 'honeymoon'
followed by my installing some old back up of LFS-BLFS. Ive considered
going with T2 for build configuration but know little about it at this
point.
   Anyway sorry to 'ramble' just wanted make it clear that Im willing
   put in what efforts I can.

Regards and thanks for your reply.