Using Git

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Sep 12 15:12:49 PDT 2011

Hi all,

This was prompted by a discussion on lfs-dev about a new server for LFS.

There are plenty of git tutorials out there, but none that seem to
describe the following workflow I use:

1) Checkout sources (svn co)
2) Make a change and commit it locally (quilt new, quilt add, edit
files, quilt refresh)
3) Make a 2nd change and commit it locally (quilt new, quilt add, edit
files, quilt refresh)
4) 'Rewind' to the 1st change, as I need to make a change to the first
commit (quilt pop, edit files, quilt refresh)
5) 'Fast forward' to the 2nd change, to ensure it still applies on top
of the first (quilt push)
6) Rewind both changes, update from upstream so that I have all the
latest changes, then do a final 'fast forward' of both changes to ensure
they both apply cleanly on top of the latest upstream changes
7) Rewind both changes again, 'fast forward' each change in turn and
commit them upstream (quilt pop -a, quilt push, svn ci, quilt push, svn ci)

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the tutorials I've read and they may be
describing the above, but if anyone could tell me what the git commands
are for the above or point to a git cookbook type document, that would
be great.  Or, even suggestions on how git has better features for the
above would be great too.

Thanks,

Matt.