quicktime .mov files and youtube

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 7 07:50:23 PDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 01:18:43PM +1200, Tony Sauri wrote:

> Did you try to play them using  ffmpeg's player ffplay?

 No, I'd forgotten about this tool.  Many thanks, it plays them
nicely and turns out to be a key part of comparing the outputs with
various options to reduce the bitrate.
> If you just want to copy yhe original audio and video stream to an avi
> container this ffmpeg command should do it:
>
> ffmpeg -i <inpit .mov file>  -acodec copy -vcodec copy -f  <output ,avi file>
>
> Tony

 Thanks, I've copied them to .avi for initial review using ffmpeg's
defaults (so, *much* smaller files, which helps enormously in
backing everything up when I'm away from home).

ĸen