quicktime .mov files and youtube

littlebat dashing.meng at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 20:32:19 PDT 2011

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 01:16:47 +0100
Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com> wrote:

>  I've now got a few short movie clips (trains) which might have some
> interest for people who use youtube - not great quality, but maybe
> adequate [ 1280x720, from a panasonic 'bridge' camera ].  But, the
> camera outputs .mov files (quicktime) - I can play these large files
> in xine, but slowly (i.e. the clock runs slow, perhaps a 50/60 Hz
> [ or 25/30 fps ] issue - I'm in the UK) and any sound dies very
> quickly, within a second or so.  Totem is unable to play these source
> files.  Any suggestions for playing the original files correctly ?
>
>  If I use ffmpeg to convert these to .avi files, I can hear and see
> them in both xine and totem and they seem to run at the correct
> speed.  So, looks like I need to convert them.  Creating .avi
> files from ffmpeg's default settings loses a lot of video quality,
> and some audio quality - it wasn't wonderful to start with.  Has
> anyone any experience with creating .avi files for youtube, with
> recommended settings ?  I've tried this when I got the camera, and
> have some ideas, but .avi seems to have a lot of restrictions on
> what is valid for the audio, and knowing what people have found
> useful for the video settings would be helpful.  Part of the problem
> is that the recent youtube documentation implies I should use the
> highest quality possible, i.e. the .mov file which I can't play
> correctly.  I'm confused.
>
>  I'm hoping to only need to use ffmpeg for this - the last thing I
> need is more software to add to my builds.
>
>  Sorry to ask this here, but it's the first time I've taken movies,
> and I'm obsessional enough that if I subscribe to a movies list I'll
> never have enough time to build a new LFS system :-)

I haven't converted video for youtube, but can give you some clues:

1, download a video from youtube and check its media information with
"ffmpeg -i filename", get its video codec and audio codec, fps,
resolution, etc... Maybe, youtube website has the suggestion.

2, then, convert your video with the parameters above. If your want the
close quality as original video, try:
ffmpeg -i originalfile -sameq resultfile.avi