quicktime .mov files and youtube

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 6 17:16:47 PDT 2011

 I've now got a few short movie clips (trains) which might have some
interest for people who use youtube - not great quality, but maybe
adequate [ 1280x720, from a panasonic 'bridge' camera ].  But, the
camera outputs .mov files (quicktime) - I can play these large files
in xine, but slowly (i.e. the clock runs slow, perhaps a 50/60 Hz
[ or 25/30 fps ] issue - I'm in the UK) and any sound dies very
quickly, within a second or so.  Totem is unable to play these source
files.  Any suggestions for playing the original files correctly ?

 If I use ffmpeg to convert these to .avi files, I can hear and see
them in both xine and totem and they seem to run at the correct
speed.  So, looks like I need to convert them.  Creating .avi
files from ffmpeg's default settings loses a lot of video quality,
and some audio quality - it wasn't wonderful to start with.  Has
anyone any experience with creating .avi files for youtube, with
recommended settings ?  I've tried this when I got the camera, and
have some ideas, but .avi seems to have a lot of restrictions on
what is valid for the audio, and knowing what people have found
useful for the video settings would be helpful.  Part of the problem
is that the recent youtube documentation implies I should use the
highest quality possible, i.e. the .mov file which I can't play
correctly.  I'm confused.

 I'm hoping to only need to use ffmpeg for this - the last thing I
need is more software to add to my builds.

 Sorry to ask this here, but it's the first time I've taken movies,
and I'm obsessional enough that if I subscribe to a movies list I'll
never have enough time to build a new LFS system :-)

Thanks.

ĸen