can gcc link to earlier glibc's?

Nathan Coulson conathan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 12:06:24 PDT 2011

I am experimenting with compiler toolchains that can target ubuntu,
which worked great on my last LFS build,  but now result in the
following error

/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found

I imagine that's because ubuntu 11.04 uses GLIBC 2.13.

I was hoping to avoid building a cross compiler, although that's
mostly because I don't know what kind of naming scheme I could use,
would x86_64-ubuntu1104-linux-gnu be valid?

Found an option called sysroot that sounds perfect, but it tells me
the following

gcc --sysroot=/usr test.c -o test gives me
ld: this linker was not configured to use sysroots

if anyone has any solutions, thank you

--
Nathan Coulson (conathan)
------