test-more-or-less

Mike Hollis zzflop at embarqmail.com
Thu Oct 28 14:47:23 PDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 04:19:53PM +0100, Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 01:55:22AM -0400, Mike Hollis wrote:
> >
> >  Which brings me to something that bugs me somewhat. This machine is
> > running on a devel build from July is which is now current stable.
> > I had around 18 libmudflap errors then and my previous build back in
> > March (LFS-6.6,gcc 4.4.3) had 8. That is really no big deal, but  I use
> > a lot of older software and a lot of things that compiled cleanly on
> > on gcc 4.4.3 error out on gcc 4.5.1.
>  Often, google can be your friend.  Depends if you are using old and
> unregarded software, or things that distros use.
>
>  Fedora cvsweb used to be easy to search, with several previous
> versions easily available, but now that they've move to git it's a
> bit harder to find old stuff.  If they care about the packages you
> use, might help -
> http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/
>
>   PLD is sometimes useful -
> http://cvs.pld-linux.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/packages/
>

>  Strangely, I found 4.4.3 -> 4.5.1 much *less* painful than previous
> version upgrades.  Also, one of my problems was actually a glibc
> change, although it looked like the usual 'we tightened c++
> validation' sort of thing.  But, part of my solution was to grab
> newer versions where they existed.
>
>  Sometimes, cblfs can help - http://cblfs.cross-lfs.org
>

>  My impression is that LFS-6.7 works better than 6.6, but each gcc
> version upgrade slows down most compilations (more time spent on
> more optimizations).

I agree that LFS-6.7 is much better than 6.6 and it is a quantum leap
over 6.3 that I was using on ol' slowpoke.

Bye the way , it bombed out after about 20 hrs on the gcc final run and
I didn't even look at what the error was; the debian disk was already in
the tray waiting. Since that machine will only be routing packets and
running bind, I think this is a more sensible solution.

I will say that 4.5.1 compiled LFS-6.7 without issue and all of the BLFS
packages that I have used so far without error.

The distros are indeed a good source. I use svgalib with Mplayer to
watch video on the console and it has been out of develpment a long
time; they still have a web site and I browsed the mailing list archive.
The last post was in 1995. The latest version on this site won't work on
newer kernels but I found a set of patches that will run it with any
kernel I've tried so far.

Thx for tips.

--- Mike Hollis