test-more-or-less

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Oct 27 08:19:53 PDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 01:55:22AM -0400, Mike Hollis wrote:

>  Which brings me to something that bugs me somewhat. This machine is
> running on a devel build from July is which is now current stable.
> I had around 18 libmudflap errors then and my previous build back in
> March (LFS-6.6,gcc 4.4.3) had 8. That is really no big deal, but  I use
> a lot of older software and a lot of things that compiled cleanly on
> on gcc 4.4.3 error out on gcc 4.5.1.
>
>  Mostly its just one or 2 errors of adding a const char , but after 20
> of these it get's a little tedious. Sometimes it is beyond my limited
> C or C++ expertise, and always a screen full of warnings about data
> types and so forth.

 Often, google can be your friend.  Depends if you are using old and
unregarded software, or things that distros use.

 Fedora cvsweb used to be easy to search, with several previous
versions easily available, but now that they've move to git it's a
bit harder to find old stuff.  If they care about the packages you
use, might help -
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/

 As with the old cvsweb, you need a graphical browser to make sense
of this very long page, and because it takes for ever to reload it's
usually best to open the package in a new tab so that you don't have
to reload the main page.

  PLD is sometimes useful -
http://cvs.pld-linux.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/packages/

 These are both rpm distros, so you should begin by searching the
'spec' files to see if they contain anything useful (e.g. seds, or
perhaps explanations of the switches they are using).  After that,
look at patches just in case.

 Strangely, I found 4.4.3 -> 4.5.1 much *less* painful than previous
version upgrades.  Also, one of my problems was actually a glibc
change, although it looked like the usual 'we tightened c++
validation' sort of thing.  But, part of my solution was to grab
newer versions where they existed.

 Sometimes, cblfs can help - http://cblfs.cross-lfs.org

>  I know I'm free to use any compiler I choose , and I would like to use
> newer versions whenever possible, but I want it to work at least as well
> as the last version.

 My impression is that LFS-6.7 works better than 6.6, but each gcc
version upgrade slows down most compilations (more time spent on
more optimizations).

>  Gerard said anything goes on this list, so I guess whining is allowed.
> I can't speak on the price of beer as I have not had one in 6 months;
> I'm getting thirsty thinking about it.
>
> -- Mike Hollis --

 Beer isn't mandatory, but it certainly helps pass the time waiting
for builds to finish.

ĸen