linux-2.6.37 defkeymap.c?

Mike Hollis zzflop at embarqmail.com
Sun Nov 28 09:08:39 PST 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 07:11:42PM +0000, Andrew Benton wrote:
> Hello World!
> I used to compile a default keymap into the kernel with:
>
> loadkeys -m /usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwerty/uk.map.gz > \
>   drivers/char/defkeymap.c
>
> However, it doesn't seem to be working in the current 2.6.37-rc3
> kernel. Does anyone know what's changed and how I should be doing it
> now?
>
> Andy
> --

 I guess from the location of the keymaps that this is a distribution.
I just recently started using UTF-8 and never worried about keymaps
,fonts and etc ; just took the defaults. Now the default gives me
little blocks in my text. I have a little better understanding of the
fonts now but don't fully grok the keymapping.

 I didn't realize you could compile a default into the kernel. What are
the advantages of doing this as opposed to loading the keymap from boot
scripts ?

 In the same vein, upgrading to linux-2.6.36 per an lfs-dev build broke
the svgalib_helper module for me. I have a set of patches that have
worked since 2.6.22 , but no more.

 Sorry to be no help; just felt like flapping my gums this AM.

--- Mike H. ---