/dev/pts missing

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Sun May 2 08:03:39 PDT 2010

On 02/05/10 15:09, mantiz at gmx.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I built up an LFS-6.6 system and everything is fine except the missing
> /dev/pts directory, so the init-script can't mount /dev/pts because
> the mount point does not exist.
>
> I can mount the devpts manually with:
> $ mkdir /dev/pts
> $ mount /dev/pts
>
> The same is with the /dev/shm directory.
>
> Did I miss something in the kernel-config so the directories are not
> created by populating the /dev directory at boot time?

No, it seems you missed a step on the udev page
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/6.6/chapter06/udev.html

install -dv /lib/{firmware,udev/devices/{pts,shm}}

This makes the directory /lib/udev/devices/pts
If you read the dev bootscript, the contents of /lib/udev/devices are copied
into /dev after the tmpfs is mounted and before udev is started

Andy